Tuesday 22 November 2011

Tarun Tejpal. Yes, I met him!


        When my Journalism professor emailed us about the launch of Tarun Tejpal’s new book, The Valley of Masks, I knew it was an opportunity I didn’t want to miss. I promptly arranged the camera and went to attend the event praying I would at least get a chance to meet the legend personally.

        Oh what a delight it was to hear him speak. I went a little early and saw him interact with his old friends and relatives in Bangalore who had come to see him at the book launch. Trademark kurta, long hair tied loosely at the back, a hearty laughter and bright, sparkling eyes—Tarun Tejpal was a treat to observe.

       He started off by talking about how his book had originated. He got an idea during the 2007 Gujarat elections, when thousands of supporters were sporting Narendra Modi masks to support him. Just then he knew he wanted to write about why everyone wanted to be like a certain someone. What makes them pursue something to the exclusion of all else. Being a journalist for 28 years, he had noticed this pattern several times and knew it was something worth delving deeper into to get behind the ‘mask’ of humanity.

       He then revealed about an epiphanic moment he underwent when he realised that there would be no free time for him when he could just write and do nothing else. He simply had to learn to weave it into his daily hectic life and complete his long cherished novels.

         He also spoke about the Tehelka experience. He explained why he simply had to push to get Tehelka running again after it had been stalled by the Government. He felt they had been wronged and had to fight for justice. Also if they won, it would set an example for the country that someone who pushes for justice surely gets it.

        “The best education if life. Live. Live. Live.” “Don’t fear. Don’t feed power to the bullies. More the fear, more draconian the power.” These were few of the truly inspiring quotable quotes which had me admiring him even more.

         After the launch I nervously hung around the dais, waiting to get a word with him. Several fans got their books autographed by him. There were other local TV news and newspaper reporters as well who spoke to him. Right at the end, I walked up to him and requested for a short tete-a-tete which I wanted to shoot for my college news bulletin. He readily agreed with a smile. And there I was, interviewing Tarun Tejpal. He was very gracious and answered all my questions, not intimidating even for a second. After that, he signed a copy of Tehelka for me and even agreed for a photograph with my classmate Maitreyee Joshi and me.

           I went back home with a satisfied grin, a strange sense of high, and valuable lessons learnt from a stalwart.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment